Vidalia Onion and Tomato Salad with Grilled Tuna
Gardens and grocers are brimming with ripe, delicious tomatoes. Eat them chopped, sliced, or skewered. Sweet Vidalia onions come into season in mid-April. Pair them with tomatoes for this light summer salad that’s topped with grilled ahi tuna. Perfect for a backyard luncheon.
For the Salad:
- 1/2-pound ahi (yellowfin) tuna steak (fresh or frozen) • 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 large head lettuce (Boston, Romaine or Bibb)
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
For the Dressing:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh or bottled
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- Heat grill.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Cut tuna into 1″ chunks and skewer and place on two-three 3″ skewers; brush lightly with olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Grill skewered tuna until fish is opaque and flakes with a fork (145 °F); remove from grill.
- In a large bowl, toss dressing with all vegetable ingredients. Divide salad on four individual plates; top with tuna.