This recipe is sure to become a family favorite!
- 12 ounces’ gluten free ziti pasta
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 (15-oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose our
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 (8-oz.) package shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup fine, dry GF breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta in a Dutch oven according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, sauté onion in hot oil in large skillet over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add beef; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until crumbled and no longer pink. Drain mixture, and return to skillet.
3. Stir tomato sauce, next 4 ingredients, and 1 tsp. salt into meat mixture. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Increase heat to medium, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in Parmesan cheese, pepper, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt. Add sauce to pasta, stirring to coat.
5. Transfer pasta mixture to a lightly greased (with cooking spray) 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top with beef mixture, mozzarella cheese, and breadcrumbs.
6. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.