Summer camp keeps kids moving, exploring and learning all summer long
By YMCA of Western Monmouth County At the end of the summer, families want to hear their child had “the best summer ever.”
Summer is the ideal time for kids to get up, get out and explore. But for some kids, summer means no access to recreational and educational activities to help them learn, grow and thrive during out-of-school time. As a result, some kids can experience learning loss and gain weight twice as fast than during the school year. Attending summer camp is a wonderful opportunity for kids to keep their minds and bodies active.
“It’s imperative that kids stay engaged socially, physically and academically throughout the summer. Summer camp is a wonderful way to ensure that,” says Denise Bucciero, Branch Executive Director of the Freehold Y. “We really encourage parents to give their kids the gift of camp to keep them active and engaged all summer long.”
Here are five reasons why children and teens should attend summer camp:
- ADVENTURE: Summer camp is all about a wide variety of new experiences and exploring the outdoors.
- HEALTHY FUN: Summer camp offers fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind, and also help children and teens learn the importance of nutrition to help improve their healthy eating habits.
- PERSONAL GROWTH: While in the welcoming environment of camp, youth have a chance to learn new skills, and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges.
- FRIENDSHIPS: Amidst the fun of camp games, songs, swimming, sports, and crafts, campers meet new friends and strengthen existing friendships. The bonds formed at camp are important and lasting for many youth.
- MEMORIES: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories and camp traditions that will last a lifetime. Youth return to school with plenty of camp stories to share!
A leading nonprofit committed to nurturing the potential of youth, the YMCA has been a leader in providing summer camp for over 131 years. The YMCA of Western Monmouth County offers day camps in Freehold Township, Freehold Borough, and Millstone, keeping kids and teens in Monmouth County adventurous, active, engaged and healthy all summer long. YMCA camp programs offer youth fun and unique experiences with an opportunity to explore the outdoors, meet new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.
To ensure that all youth have the chance to experience camp, the Y offers financial assistance to those in need. For more information on summer camp at the Y, visit ymcanj. org/bestsummerever, or call 732.462.0464. If you’re interested in helping the Y send kids to camp this summer, you can donate at ymcanj.org/send-a-kid-to-camp.