Each month Chef David brings you a new challenge right to your kitchen! It is designed to inspire you to try new things in your home kitchen.
- 3oz. Butter
- 1 med. Onions, small to med dice
- 1-2cl. Garlic, chopped
- 2 rib Celery, small to med dice
- 1 hd Cauliflower, chopped 3oz. White wine
- 1/4t. Marjoram 1/4t. Thyme 1 Bay leave
- 4oz. Flour
- 1qt. Chicken stock
- Drops Worcester sauce
- 1⁄2 Lemon juice
- 1c. Heavy cream
- 2oz Cauliflower florets
- 2T. parsley, chopped
- 2oz. butter
- 1/4c. bread crumbs
- Cut some cauliflower for florets, save for garnish later.
- Melt butter over med heat. Add onions, celery, garlic, cook 1 to 2 min. Add Cauliflower, stir all together.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme, marjoram, and bay leave. Cook for a few more minutes, stirring.
- Add wine and cook till almost gone.
- Incorporate the flour, a little at a time; mixing well (should not be too stiff) but should absorb all liquid. Cook for 1 to 2 min more, making sure not to stick to the bottom.
- Add half the stock stirring well to incorporate and get rid of any lumps, add rest of stock, raise the heat, continuing to stir till comes to a boil.
- Turn heat down so the soup simmers. Continue to cook about 30 min., stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning with lemon juice, Worcester sauce, S&P.
- Add cream (room temperature, not cold) , bring to boil, stirring. Adjust seasoning again, turn off heat.
- Strain through china cap or strainer into another container.
- In a separate pot bring salted water to a boil. Add florets to blanch, 1 to 2 min. Strain.
- Melt butter in pan; add bread crumbs till they absorb all the butter. On med heat toast crumbs in pan stirring so they do not burn. Remove from pan when lightly toasted.
- Chop parsley, add to bread crumbs.
- Ladle soup in bowl, sprinkle bread crumbs in the middle of the bowl, add a few florets on top and serve.
Chef David Silverman, Personal Chef/Catering Services