By Lauren Kolacki
One of the most common conversation pieces all over America is weight loss. Everyone is interested in new diet and fitness fads that will help them look their best this summer. Who wouldn’t want to do that by contributing the bare minimum? Studies have shown that there are small lifestyle changes to be made that can boost your metabolism and aid in weight loss.
- Chewing slowly: chewing is the first stage of digestion, by doing it slowly, you give your digestive system time to break down the food and help digestion. This also allows time for your stomach to communicate with your brain that you are full.
- Protein: eating plenty of protein has been shown to help you feel fuller and prevent you from overeating. Studies show that it can increase your metabolic rate by 15-30%
- Drink More Water: Drinking 17 oz. of water increases resting metabolism by 10-30% for about an hour.
- High-Intensity Interval Training: the quick and intense bursts of activity spike your metabolic rate, helping you to burn more fat even after your workout has finished.
- Weight Training: Building muscle can help increase your metabolism. Weight training will help you burn more calories each day, even at rest.
- Stand up More: Sitting for long periods results in less calories being burned which can lead to weight gain.
- Drink Green Tea or Oolong Tea: These drinks have been shown to increase metabolism by 4-5% They also help convert some of the fat stored in your body into fatty acids which increases your ability to burn fat.
- Eat Spicy Foods: Some spicy foods, peppers as an example, contain capsaicin, a substance that can boost your
- Get a Good Night’s Sleep: Sleep deprivation results in a speed decrease in your metabolism, which can eventually lead to obesity.
10. Drink Coffee: Coffee can boost metabolism by 3-11% and like green tea, it promotes fat burning.